why can’t you pronounce her name?
all this stuff about Quvenzhane is coming up on my dash and all I can do is think about how I have never met a Black person who has trouble pronouncing a Black name but it’s something that like utterly escapes non-Black people
this is not a suggestion that there is some inherent inability for non-Black people to understand Black names and it is not an erasure of people who just aren’t good at sounding out names or making sense of strings of letters
but like, I have never met a Black person who has had so much fucking trouble with a name like Quvenzhane, nor have I. Do I hear the bell for social conditioning to assume that Black names are strange and unpronounceable and ghetto chiming in here? Yes, yes I think I do.
- resteasyrolihlahla likes this
- alexivore likes this
- queerqueerspawn likes this
- rake-at-the-gates-of-hell said:Plus, how many of the white folks having so much trouble do you think have Polish (Wojciech?) or Welsh (Blwchfardd?) ancestry?
- lexurism likes this
- calico-kat likes this
- cornchilos likes this
- postblackbabe reblogged this from handling-it
- laff-riot likes this
- crankyskirt likes this
- carefreeeblackgirl likes this
- handling-it posted this